Are you looking for a career change or maybe making the tough decision of choosing a college major? Information Technology continues to offer job seekers a lot of possibilities and open positions. According to the magazine Fast Company, seven out of the top 25 jobs in the US are Information Technology careers.
These findings are based on the highest overall Glassdoor Job Score after looking at three categories: earning potential, career opportunities rating and number of job openings. Along with these ratings, the job title has to have at least 75 salary reports and 75 career opportunities shared by US employees over the past year. While considering all of the criteria based on these reports, it is no surprise that careers in technology are prominently represented.
Looking for a Great Career Opportunity in IT? Here are 7 of the Top Tech Jobs
Computers play an essential role in so many different fields ranging from education, manufacturing, banking, retail, and many more. With the popularity of mobile devices, internet use and digital media, there is an ever growing need for specialists in this field. Here are the top seven IT jobs in the US this year:
1. Data Scientist : As the No. 1 job in the US this is a wise career path for those new to the job market or those wanting to make a change. This job requires skilled individuals that are capable of analyzing data and managing several systems simultaneously. Currently there are 1,736 job openings with a median base salary of $ 116,840.
2. Solutions Architect : No. 3 on the Fast Company list is responsible for organizing the development process for team members on projects. This position requires strong leadership skills in order to carry out goals and execute the desired vision. Currently there are 2,906 job openings with a median base salary of $ 119,500.
3. Mobile Developer : No. 5 on the list is a specialized IT job that involves using several programs and applications to complete a project. Most of these open positions prefer at least five years of work experience and they require a strong understanding of the mobile development lifecycle with experience using the agile methodology. If you are looking to start a career as a mobile developer, it is recommended that you receive as much experience as possible. Currently there are 2,251 job openings with a median base salary of $ 90,000.
4. Software Engineer : No. 9 on the list is a position that requires a well-rounded person that is able to implement design, development, maintenance, testing and other skills that allow computers to operate effectively. While this position may seem like it is becoming old hat for the professional world, there remains high demand for these employees. Currently there are 49,270 job openings with a median base salary of $ 95,000.
5. Software Development Manager : No. 12 on the list is responsible for keeping all of these IT employees on task and working toward a common solution. This position is perfect for those that crave responsibility and a leadership position. While it may not be easy to jump right into this position, gaining as much experience as possible is a key to long term success. If you are serious about this career opportunity, receiving official certification will increase your chances of landing a job as a software development manager. Currently there are 1,199 job openings with a median base salary of $ 135,000.
6. UX Designer : No. 18 on the list is all about helping users gain a better experience through usability, accessibility and easy interaction with a product. Since social media has created a two-way communication between consumers and businesses, there is a stronger need to anticipate and recognize the user experience. Businesses are working harder and smarter to keep anticipate consumer needs and desires and this effort relies heavily on people in this field. Currently there are 863 job openings with a median base salary of $ 91,800.
7. Software Architect: Topping off the list at No. 25, software architect positions are popping up everywhere because there is a growing need for individuals that are capable of creating technical design decisions. These often include skills like understanding multiple software languages and using various tools and platforms to complete many functions. Currently there are 653 job openings with a median base salary of $ 135,000.
Out of the 25 top jobs in the US, information technology jobs definitely play a major role comprising around 30% of the top positions. While the skillsets for different IT positions are unique, many do share certain traits including the need for good communication skills, a dedicated work ethic and a willingness to continue learning throughout the job.